The Garmin Edge 520 is a very capable GPS cycling computer. I have listed some common problems with the Garmin Edge 520 and solutions. Please consider visiting my guide on the best GPS cycling computers.
Resetting the Garmin Edge 520
One of the common Garmin Edge 520 problems is needing to reset the device. Fortunately, the solution is simple.
Hold the power button for 10 seconds. This will cause the device to reset
Change the Language on the Garmin Edge 520
You may not understand the language on screen but it’s possible. In the manual it states that you press menu > settings > system then language.
It’s best to start with the device freshly powered on.
- Press DOWN (This will enter the main menu)
- Press DOWN three times (this will highlight the settings menu)
- Press SELECT to enter the settings menu
- Press DOWN four times (this will highlight the System menu)
- Press SELECT to enter the system menu
- Press DOWN four times (Language is the last menu item)
- Press SELECT to enter the Language Menu
- Now press Up or Down until you see the language you want
- Now Press SELECT
- Go back and the device should now be in your chosen language.
Tips for Improving the Battery Life of your Garmin 520 Cycling Computer
- Decrease the screen brightness
- Change the Recording Interval to Smart
- Use the Auto Sleep Feature
- Turn Off Bluetooth
- Disable GPS+GLONASS
- Remove Wireless Sensors that you are not using
Updating Your Gamin Edge 520
Some common issues can be fixed with an update. You will need a computer or smartphone to update your device.
- On your PC
- Download Garmin Express
- On Your Mobile Device
- Download Garmin Connect
Connect to your device. Follow the most up to date instructions from one of the above sites to update your Garmin Edge 520
Garmin 520 Bluetooth Connection Problems
A common problem that a number of users experience is Bluetooth pairing issues with a phone. Try the following if you experience issues. Try re-pairing the devices between the following steps:
- Restart Edge 520
- Restart Phone
- Disable and Re-enable Bluetooth on your phone
- Re-install the Garmin Connect App and Try Steps 1 to 3 again
Garmin Edge 520 Not Turning On
A common problem that can be solved by one of the following:
- HOLD the DOWN button when powering on the device
- (Factory Reset) Power Device On Whilst you HOLD <Lap> and <Start/Stop> Release when you see the Garmin startup screen.
If you have a question I can help with please contact me. I will update this page with additional problems and solutions.
2 thoughts on “Garmin Edge 520 Problems and Solutions”
My garmin comes on for a few seconds and goes off even though it is fully charged the device is less than 6 months old
Ok try a master reset https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-520-520-plus/106087/edge-520-won-t-power-up-at-all/604649#604649